Ready for a hearty meal? Then this recipe will do the trick… this is a fabulous dish to serve on a cold Sunday evening: minestrone!
MINESTRONE (inspired by a recipe from JEROEN MEUS)
Ingredients (for 8)
3 l beef stock, 1 onion 500 g steak, 3 stalks of celery, 2 thick carrots, 1 parsnip, 2 turnips, ¼ savoy cabbage 200 g sprouts, 2 potatoes, 2 cloves of garlic, 2 tablespoons of tomato puree (concentrated), 1 Parmesan crust, 1 tin of diced tomatoes, 1 tin of white beans, olive oil, 5 bay leaves, 3 sprigs of thyme
How to make?
- Peel and finely chop the onion and garlic. Crush the garlic with a knife.
- Wash the celery and cut it into small pieces. Peel the carrots, parsnips and turnips and cut them into small cubes (brunoise).
- Heat a dash of olive oil in a large pot.
- Fry the onion and add the garlic.
- Add the celery, carrots, parsnips and turnips and simmer. Stir regularly.
- Add the tomato puree and cook for one minute. Pour in the hot stock.
- Place the bavette and the parmesan crust in the soup.
- Bring the soup to the boil and leave to cook on a gentle heat with the lid on.
- Meanwhile, cut the savoy cabbage into fine strips. Cut the butt of the sprouts and chop them finely. Add the cabbage and Brussels sprouts to the soup.
- Peel the potatoes, cut them into cubes and add them to the soup.
- Put the beans in a sieve and rinse them under cold running water. Add them to the soup along with the diced tomatoes.
- Add the bay leaf and the thyme. Season with pepper and salt.
- Allow the soup to cook for at least one and a half to two hours on a gentle fire. The meat should be cooked until it falls apart.
- Take out the bavette and cut it into strips. Put it back in the soup.
- Finish with parmesan shavings and serve with ciabatta.