Who doesn’t want soft, kissable lips?! I know I do 🙂 We all like to take care of our skin, but a lot of us tend to forget the lips. So today’s post is all about lipcare.
The skin on your lips needs as much attention as the rest of your body. It consists of three layers: the epidermis, the dermis and the hypodermis.
As the skin ages, the epidermis and dermis deteriorate and get thinner. There is less vascular tissue and collagen fibres which causes older looking lips.
To prevent this as long as possible, lipcare is very important. There are several ways to take care of your lips and to keep them kissable throughout the years.
Just as your face and body need a scrub regularly, so do your lips. I must admit that I have just started scrubbing my lips a couple of months ago, but now I do it twice a week.
When you scrub your lips, dead skin cells are removed. Your lips are smoother, they look fresher, younger and your lipstick will look better as you won’t have any little flakes of dead skin cells.
Here are two kinds of lip scrubs:
- Homemade lip scrub:
- Mix 1 tsp of white or brown sugar, 1/2 tsp of honey and 1/2 tsp of coconut oil.
- Apply twice a week.
- You can leave this scrub on for a couple of minutes before rubbing it in softly.
- Don’t make too much at once.
- Make sure it isn’t too coarse as the skin of your lips is very sensitive.
- Put it in a little glass container which you can seal off really well and store it in a dry and dark place.
- You don’t only scrub your lips with this homemade scrub, you also hydrate and moisturize them because of the coconut oil in it.
- Coconut oil also contains a lot of vitamin F which is essential to the maintenance of healthy skin
- HEMA lip scrub
- This is a lip scrub which can be bought at HEMA for only 4.75 EUR.
- Easy and handy in use: I apply it on my lips and then rub it in softly with my fingertips.
- Melting sugar scrub parts make your lips softer and smoother.
- Contains Ricinus Communis Seed Oil, which is used as a humectant due to its water-binding abilities.
For everyday use you can apply lip balm. There are numerous lip balms and I’m sure you’ll find one to your liking. Lip balms are hydrating and give your lips a nice, soft feeling. They often contain an SPF which comes in handy in summer (and on the ski slopes!!).
A lip balm should be in anyone’s purse, young and old! I usually buy my lip balms at the pharmacy or at my local drugstore.
I also got this lip balm from Filorga which plumps the lips and has a filler in it. You can read my review of this product here.
3.Vaseline lip care
At night I always smear a good dollop of Vaseline lip care or lip butter on my lips before going to sleep. That way, the product can do its work and I wake up with soft lips.
Pros about the vaseline lip care:
- Helps to heal dry lips.
- Long-lasting moisturization.
- Gives lips a glossy shine.
I alternatively buy lip butter and vaseline lip care to apply at night. The lip butter I use is from Labello (raspberry rosé) and has this sweetest fruity smell.
I always put the lip butter (or vaseline) on my lips, but also a bit round my lips to keep the skin around my lips smooth… I hope to prevent getting wrinkles around my lips that way 🙂
If you don’t have lip butters/balms/scrubs you can always apply plain oil on your lips. You can use olive oil, coconut oil or mink oil. That way you nourish your lips and you won’t have to buy extra products.
But Clarins has got a specially made lip oil of which I recently got a sample which I really like using. This oil is really nourishing and enhances the lips with a high shine. The oil is hydrating, moisturizing and it comes in three different shades. That way you can take care of your lips ànd it adds a bit of colour on your face! Win-win if you ask me 🙂
I wear lipstick almost daily. I have them in several shades. I like a bold red lipstick (as you could see in this post), but I usually keep it slightly more subtle 🙂
Recently I have discovered the Sisley hydrating long-lasting lipstick. I bought one a couple of weeks ago and I was immediately sold… the next day I bought a second one! I will do a review about these lipsticks soon, but I can tell you now that I am just over the moon by the quality…
You see… many ways to take care of your lips! What do you do to have the softest lips? Tell me in the comments!