Spain: Madrid – Lavapiés and La Latina, a photographic impression

Now if you’re following me on Instagram, you might have seen a picture or two (or more!!) from my recent citytrip to Madrid. I’ve been back since Tuesday night and I’ve got tons of inspiration for travelposts about the capital of Spain!

We’ll start with a photographic impression of two fabulous neighbourhoods in Madrid: Lavapiés and La Latina.

We rented an appartment through Airbnb which was located right in the heart of Lavapiés, a historic neighbourhood in Madrid and it was the perfect place to start our walk through two authentic neighbourhoods in Madrid: Lavapiés and La Latina.

Lavapiés used to be the jewish neighbourhood, but it became derilict when the jews were driven away by the catholic kings. During the 1980ies, the empty buildings attracted squatters.

These days, Lavapiés is a lively, buzzing neighbourhood, it’s multicultural, attracts artists and bohemians and it’s a neighbourhood that’s pretty much alive 24/7!

The walk also brought us to another neighbourhood: La Latina. This is one of the oldest parts of Madrid. The pattern of narrow streets and large plazas dates from the Middle Ages, but most buildings were built in the 19th century.

In my opinion this walk showed the ‘real’ Madrid, the Madrid of narrow and winding streets, colourful and handpainted façades, streetart and graffitti, impressives churches and plazas, alternative bars and shops where you can find products from all around the world.

Just get lost in the streets of Lavapiés and La Latina. I promise you, you’re in for some pretty sights, beautiful corners, fabulous streetart and lots and lots of shops and bars!

Do scroll all the way down for more pictures!

(PS: our walk was inspired by walk 2 from the travelguide ‘100% Madrid’)

Start of our walk: Calle Ministreles in the heart of Lavapiés.

10 thoughts on “Spain: Madrid – Lavapiés and La Latina, a photographic impression

Ramyarecipes said:
    May 5, 2018 at 2:17 am

Lovely place and clicks.. 👍😊

Dulce said:
    May 5, 2018 at 12:22 am

Wow great photos, thank you for taking me to Spain through your blog. I’m really in awe with your beautiful photos. I felt like I was there:)

May 5, 2018 at 9:36 am

Awww, thanks for the lovely comment! It made my day 🙂 in the coming weeks there will be more Madrid posts, so stay tuned I’d say 😉 Love, Kathleen

johnrieber said:
    May 5, 2018 at 12:19 am

Terrific images – so much vibrant color! My wife and I were in Barcelona a few years ago and I posted a myriad of stories about the food, architecture, etc. Thanks for sharing this!

May 5, 2018 at 9:37 am

Oh, will look up your Barcelona posts!!! I once was in Barcelona for just a day, but it’s been nearly 30 years now… don’t remember much of it I’m afraid to say 😀

SimpleSerenity said:
    May 4, 2018 at 11:01 pm

I never visited Madrid sadly, but I’ve been in Spain and it was so amazing. I love their weather and it’s a great country to have so much fun, they know how to enjoy life. xx

May 5, 2018 at 9:38 am

Madrid is so lovely… but we didn’t have much luck with the weather… it was cooooold!!! Luckily it remained dry most of the time, but we didn’t let the weather spoil the fun!

SimpleSerenity said:
        May 5, 2018 at 3:37 pm

I don’t mind cold weather as long as it’s not raining. I hate rain, it just destroys everything. xx

May 6, 2018 at 12:56 pm

So true. We did have a couple of brief showers though (once with hail!), but oh well… nothing a bit of whining and an umbrella couldn’t fix 😉